Thursday, August 13, 2009

Needles, no matter how scary, are your friend

So yesterday, in one of my many hours of nursing on my couch, I watched an episode of the Baby Story. There was this adorable woman on, cute as could be, worked for Sesame Street. Perky and energetic to boot.

Fast forward to her labor scene where the poor thing is struggling. I mean, her contractions were some serious business and, out of an intense fear of needles, she was delaying getting an epidural until it was absolutely necessary. So she is writhing around on the bed, starting to cry and then she says, completely serious....

"Am I dying?" And I can't help it, I laugh. Because that is a perfectly reasonable question right at that moment. She's saying what so many women must think in the throws of labor. Surely this has to be the funniest line in the scene.

"Cause I don't wanna die......" I can't help it. I'm laughing harder. Surely this is the funniest line in the scene.

But then the nurse, completely deadpan, follows with, "So are you ready for that epidural now?" I am dying with laughter by this point and my son is glaring at me because I'm being disruptive during nursing.

And yeah, she was ready.

I do not miss those pre-epidural contractions. I still need to post my birth story (I know, such a slacker) but from the get go, my contractions were no joke. No.joke.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Promise to only tell me the "good" parts of labor - even if that only means telling me about the first time you laid eyes on Ben. No scary stories, I mean it.

Amy said...

I know what you mean...I went from 0 to 10 in 3 hours...those suckers HURT! And I didn't get my epi until I was 7cm because the nurse didn't realize I was progressing that fast!